WARNING: This is an opinion blog post.
Toronto Ontario Canada turns into a sleepless night of art. People from all around come to see crazy art installation all around Toronto from sunset to sunrise for one night only.
I personally go every year for about six or seven years now and this year was alright in my opinion. I’m going to talk about the good and the bad of this years Scotiabank Nuit Blanche.
- One sleepless night every year to see art installations is amazing for the city.
- The art itself. It amazes me how people can come up with such crazy ideas and make them come alive.
- The TTC costume service – they ran out of the subway passes for Nuit Blanche but this year they had a back up plan or they’ve always had this just one guy decided to help us out.
- Starbucks – they were open all night! It was freezing especially around Lakeshore and having them around was really great.
- The map, it was great that they had a lot more maps this year so everyone could have one. And it was great that every installment had a pile of maps they could hand out this year.
- Food trucks were greatly placed this year and were easy to find.
- No booklet of art information. I’ve been going to Nuit Blanche for years now and every year there has been a book of every art, a description and where it is. This comes in handy to figure out what you want to see, what you saw when posting pictures on social media to give some credit to the artist and it’s a great memory to keep.
- Art being spread out way to far apart. I found that this year you spent more time walking or sitting on the subway to get to the art then actually seeing the art.
- Closed down streets had minimal art on them, I mean if you’re going to close down a street you might as well put art in the middle of it like they use to do before.
- Putting art in bad neighborhoods.
- Putting art where there is no subway service.
- Art was hidden way too much. Going down the Lakeshore was hard, I had to ask a cop where the art was because it was nowhere to be found. If I didn’t ask I probably would have walked right by it.
- Great idea to put the event map on the mobile site and being able to use that. Only problem is you’re using your data the entire night and using the map off your phone is a pain.
Those are just some of my opinions of this years Nuit Blanche, don’t get me wrong I had a great time with my sister I just think there can be some improvements.
All those artists are amazing and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for next year.
Until next time,
Thanks for reading,